Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lime Rice

Perhaps I should be a little embarrassed to admit this, but I’m not so I’ll just go right on ahead and spit it out… I’m just now figuring out that Cinco de Mayo isn’t so much about the food as it is about the booze. Hmmm, what’s a girl, who doesn’t drink, to do? I guess I’ll stick with what I know…the FOOD!


Today, it’s about the rice. This lime rice recipe is my adaptation of my Aunt Dina’s recipe, which was inspired by the ever-popular “Café Rio Collection” which originates in Utah. Did you get all that? If not it’s ok, just make sure you get the recipe, because white rice just doesn’t cut it when you’re building a really great Mexican dish.


Now to all my friends who will be celebrating on Thursday, Senior Frogs style…if you need a designated driver, I’m your girl. Just be aware that I’m having the LDS missionaries over for dinner that evening so if I’m called out on a designated driver run, I’ll be bringing the missionaries along with me. J

Lime Rice

Ingredients:
2 cups white long grain rice
1 15 oz can chicken broth
2 ¼ cups water
2 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon minced dry onion
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 - 2 tablespoons lime juice (to taste)
1 cup green enchilada sauce, canned

Directions:
  1. Combine the chicken broth and water together in a 3 ½  qt. sauce pan and bring to a boil.
  2. Add rice, garlic powder and dry onion. Stir, turn heat down to low and cover with a lid. Steam for 15-20 minutes. Rice is done when the liquid has evaporated, steam holes are on the surface and rice is tender.
  3. When the rice is done add the cilantro, lime juice and enchilada sauce. Mix to combine and serve with your favorite Mexican dish.
Source: Adapted from Dina’s Diner
Gwenevere

13 comments:

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

This rice looks sooo good and flavorful. Love the you added lime juice to the rice. :)

Jackie said...

Oh this looks delicious! I've grown up with boring old steamed rice, which has made me a little sick of it, but maybe all I need to do is jazz it up a bit!

Thanks so much for dropping by the blog & leaving such a lovely comment - your story about your grandparents made me smile! So sweet and funny =)

Jax x

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

Great dish! Rice with lime and cilantro (should go well with a Corona:). Will have to give this one a try.

Trac said...

MMM, I love the Cafe Rio rice, so I'm sure this will be GREAT too! It's so simple, yet it changes just plain white rice into something I actually want to eat. Love it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful. I'll find many uses for it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy said...

This rice sounds delicious! Perfect mix of flavors :).

Shawnda said...

I definitely enjoy a good margarita but I'm all about the food on Cinco de Mayo!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

YUM! What a nice twist on rice...sounds so flavorful. Perfect side dish for Cinco de Mayo :)

Sandra said...

I am with you on the drinking part and on food part LOL!!! This sounds awesome, really wonderful and refreshing!!! Thanks for sharing!

Julia @ DimpleArts said...

Always good to have another variation of a rice dish. It's beautiful and seems so easy to make.

Unknown said...

I'm looking for a Mexican inspired dinner to serve to my husband's workmates who are vegetarians from India!! I'm going to add this lime flavored rice to my menu... Thank you!

Spicegirl said...

Last year I found a Cafe Rio cilantro lime rice knockoff similar to this recipe. I don't like rice, but I LOVE this rice. It's good with brown rice too, or a white/brown rice mix.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmy and I have some avacado that needs used but alas I do not do rice as good as you. HINT HINT

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...