Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lemon Garlic Pasta & Broccoli


I’m a mean mom - or so I’m told at least a dozen times daily. One good reason [among several] for this title is that I don’t let me kids watch a lot of TV. I know, so mean. So I’m sure you can imagine the jubilee that ensues when I am the one who ask my kids if they want to watch a cooking show with me. Sure, sure it’s probably just because they are so desperate for some mind-numbing TV time but I choose to think it’s because they are all intensely interested in learning more about cooking and food.

The other day while we all snuggled together to watch Barefooot Contessa’s Kid in a Candy Store I thought for sure it was going to be all the candy that caught their fancy therefore I was a little more than stunned when the two oldest asked if I would make the pasta and broccoli dish for dinner.  I wasn’t sure if they were going to love the lemon as much as they thought they would, but who was I to say no to such a request?

This dish comes together with minimal cook times, which, in my book, makes it ideal for a summer supper. Had I not made a mistake in how much lemon I added, I’m sure my kids would have loved it as much as I did. Next time, for the portion my kids eat, I’ll follow the recipe and only include the suggested 1 tablespoon lemon juice instead of the juice from the entire lemon. I’ll reserve the extra juice for me. I served this dish with grilled chicken marinated with balsamic vinegar dressing.

Lemon Garlic Pasta & Broccoli
Serves 4
Ingredients:
4 cups broccoli florets (2 heads)
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
½ pound pasta
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (I used butter flavored palm shortening)
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 lemon
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice (from lemon)
¼ cup toasted pignoli nuts (optional)
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss broccoli florets with 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Spread on the baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes or just until color is vibrant. Don’t over cook or broccoli will be mushy.
  2. While broccoli is roasting cook pasta according to directions on the package of pasta. Drain well once cooked.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small sauté or saucepan, heat the butter and remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over low heat. Zest the lemon directly into the oil in order to use the oils and juices from the lemon. Add the garlic and increase the heat to medium low and warm the sauce for 1 minute. Off the heat add 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or juice from the entire lemon)
  4. Once broccoli and pasta are finished cooking, toss them together with lemon garlic sauce. If using sprinkle with pignoli and cheese. Season to taste and serve warm.
Notes: Sprinkle with pignoli and cheese. Season to taste and serve warm. To toast pignolis, place them in a dry sauté pan over medium-low heat and cook, tossing often, for about 5 minutes, until light brown


Gwenevere

9 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

My kids would like this one, too! I haven't tried this Ina recipe...so thanks for pointing it out~

Kate@Diethood said...

Boooo! No tv! Mean mommy ;-))
Lemon and garlic.... is there a better combo for pasta? No way!

The Harried Cook said...

That looks great :) Love the classic lemon-garlic combo... I could tuck into that happily, and I know my little girl would too!

BTW - I am a mean mommy too :p

Tanantha said...

hahaha yes we both love an apron! :)If I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch too much TV too. It will numb their mind. So, you're good and not a mean mom :D Lemon garlic pasta sounds delicious and I like a tangy flavor. Garlic is my stable ingredient that I put in almost everything!

In Katrina's Kitchen said...

I just love all of these flavors getting cozy together! Yumm!

Hester Casey - Alchemy said...

I love that your kids will happily sit down and watch a cookery show with you. My tv viewing was strictly rationed when I was a kid so I understand completely. Your kids will thank you for it when they are grown up. They will also thank you for serving them delicious healthy food like this lovely lemon pasta.

kankana said...

this is a perfect kinda meal .. a little protein.. with some starch and then some greens. One of my fav combo!

Dreams of cakes said...

This dish looks perfect! Thanks for sharing!

purabi naha said...

The combo is perfect! Yes, truly, it would make a good summer meal. I loved the pignoli nuts in this dish!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...