Friday, July 1, 2011

Stretch Yer Buck Burgers


I got this idea from an episode of 30-minute meals with Rachel Ray. It’s kind of a non-recipe and more of an idea but I feel it’s worth sharing for a few reasons. 1)- It’s going to save you money. 2)- home pressed burger patties are, in my opinion, better tasting and better for you than store bought frozen patties because there are no additives or preservatives. If I’ve done the math right, frozen, ground turkey burger patties at Costco are about 75 cents a patty. If you buy Costco’s unfrozen ground turkey at $3.00 a pound you will be spending about 50 cent a patty. So there you go, a 25 cent savings. That's worth it isn't it? Well I guess it's not quite a quarter because you have to figure the cost of the rice...I'll let you do that. :)

FYI, Costco is not paying me to name drop, it’s just where I do most of my shopping so it’s what I’m familiar with.

This is what you do.
Stretch Yer Buck Burgers

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1 to 1 1/2  cup precooked brown rice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl combine the ground turkey with the rice. Using your clean hands moosh the rice and turkey together until well combined.
  2. Divide the meat into 6 equal portions shaped into a ball
  3. With a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper, press each ball to a ½ inch or ¾ inch thickness, salt and pepper to taste (you can add other seasonings if you wish but I like to keep it simple), Grill or skillet fry each patty until the juices run clear and the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Serve with the worlds greatest burger bun or on top of fresh summer squash either variety will leave you satisfied and wondering why you haven’t been doing this all along.


Source: Rachel Ray

Gwenevere
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...