Sunday, November 6, 2011

24 hour date

Boy and I left for an overnight date to Louisville, KY on Thursday afternoon. I was a bit giddy with anticipation. It’s been too long since we’ve been on date let alone an overnight one. We drove down with some friends to go see the comedian Brian Regan.  Do you know of Brian Regan? The first time I heard his standup I cried from laughing so hard. This little clip is a portrayal of me in the kitchen…I swear I’m so slow to figure things out. It definitely does not come quickly or naturally yet I love it so.



Before we went to the show we needed to get some goodness in us so we looked around for somewhere to eat. Someone saw Morton’s. “Oh, I’ve heard their good!” said I. After a short Google search we decided we didn’t have the time or the funds to enjoy Morton’s. We parked the car and decided to find a place close to the theater. Just around the corner was a place called Theatre Square. Cute little brick laid street that has several café style restaurants on either side. We chose the Marketplace Restaurant because it wasn’t crowded and they could serve us quickly.

What a fortunate happenstance. This restaurant was the coolest place I’ve been to in a while. It was chic and modern and because I didn’t have my kids with me, I felt like I belonged there. Besides the atmosphere the food was to die for! You know I feel fairly confident with my skills in the kitchen but after eating at the Marketplace, I’m not so sure. I don’t know that I could ever turn out food that was as tasty as what we had. Oh and if anyone is worried about portions, these were all ordered off the appetizer menu.

You may not be able to tell from the pictures but that is scallop on a bed of perfectly seasoned spinach, garnished with chickpeas and a side of pureed sweet potatoes topped with bacon (a/k/a pork belly) strips and drizzled with a spicy red sauce. Everything was cooked to perfection and just melted in my mouth.




Boy ordered the caprese salad. Believe it or not, that was my first taste of a caprese salad. I’ll be dreaming of the nut-free pesto and mozzarella for a while.




We also ordered some flatbread with cheese. That was good too, but there’s not much to write home about on that one…except maybe if I were to duplicate anything we enjoyed from the restaurant, that would be it. I think even I can manage melted cheese on bread.
J


After our quick meal we headed over to the theater to burn off our dinner by laughing non-stop for the next hour and a half. Seriously after the first 10 minutes I looked at Boy and told him that I didn’t think I was going to make it through the whole show. My cheeks and sides already hurt from laughing so hard. In the end I decided that if I ever get to choose my mode of death, I choose to die laughing!


Here is a picture of us. Tina Fey and Steve Carell are almost as cute as we are.



Gwenevere

9 comments:

kyleen said...

The scallop looks so delicious!

Unknown said...

An overnight date?! Woo hooo! Looks fun and sounds delicious. So glad you got a little getaway :)

Erin said...

Woohoo for over nigh dates!

Mary said...

What an awesome date night. Laughter would be my death of choice as well. First caprese salad?! Girl! You could most definitely do that one at home. Consider it a challenge next time the tomatoes are awesome in your area. :)

I love your picture too. I need to take a picture with my man and soon. I just realized it's been way too long since anyone snapped one of us together!

Anonymous said...

What a delicious, fun date! The comedian is hysterical! Directions on pop tarts! Too funny!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

I want an overnight date too! you guys are so lucky! It was 2 years ago when we last had a quiet dinner :))
The comedian is so funny, I think I woke up my daughter with my laugh :)))

Jamie (Thrifty Veggie Mama) said...

My husband and I saw Brian Regan at my husband's company Christmas party. My stomach hurt I laughed so hard. Looking forward to Dec 9th and 10th when my hubby and I will have our annual overnight date!

Unknown said...

I wish I can have a long date like that all day long with my hubby!
Glad to know that u enjoy the date & tq fr sharing it with us, the delish bread with cheese makes me mouthwatering :D
& tq fr ur kind comment on my guess post with chef dennis, lemongrass did often use at Indonesia fr a skewer :)

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfecmtmeals.com said...

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful date! Adam used to go to Louisville frequently and knows the Marketplace well. IT really is wonderful food, looks like Boy knows how to treat a lady!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...