Thursday, May 26, 2011

Twice Baked Potato Bake


When I was having an issue coming up with a suitable name for this dish, I turned to my son. He told me to call it…Pigs Eating Potatoes and Cows. After you look at the ingredient list you may understand where that name came from but I thought I’d keep looking until I came up with something that an internet search engine could identify as food. Afterall, I may not know what to call a dish but I’m fairly good at determining what NOT to call a dish either. For instance, I knew NOT to keep the name from the  recipe I adapted this from because casseroles tend to get a bad rap. I really didn’t want anything bad associated with this dish.  It just doesn’t deserve to be looked over based on a name when it has so much more to offer.


So, I decided to keep the name simple. It’s not perfect, but it works especially since I went looking for this recipe based on my love for potato skins but need to find a simpler way to prepare them. This recipe is the solution to fussy potato skins. If you are going to be serving these with your ribs at your next BBQ, just throw the potatoes into your oven with the ribs during the final hour and when your ribs are done, you can hand those over to someone else to cover in sauce and grill and you can finish up the potatoes. This recipe will make a full 9x13 pan however it can easily be halved to feed a smaller group. Just put it in an 8x8 or 7x11 baking dish instead.


And finally, to pull your menu of Baby Back Ribs, Potatoes & Fruit Salad together, grab some sliced mushrooms and sauté them with the leftover bacon grease from this dish and you’ll have a Memorial Day Meal that everyone will be raving about for weeks to come.



Twice Baked Potato Bake
Serves 8-10
Ingredients:
8 medium (5 oz.) baked potatoes
1 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
¼ cup milk
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup butter, cubed
½ tsp pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
10 oz (3 cups) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chives, minced

Directions:
  1. Cut baked potatoes (with skin on) into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.
  2. Mix in the milk, cream, butter, salt and pepper. This will hydrate the potatoes but keep in mind you are not trying to get creamy mashed potatoes here.
  3. Transfer potatoes to a greased 9x13 in baking dish and sprinkle with 2/3 (2 cups) of the cheese and then bacon.
  4. Dollop sour cream over the top of the bacon then sprinkle with chives and remaining cheese.
  5. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Notes: To achieve a “crispy” potato skin. Wash each potato and cover it in oil, butter or shortening rather than wrapping it in foil. Once it has been vented, bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.


Gwenevere

10 comments:

yummy supper said...

Yum! I'm not sure what looks tastier - your potato dish or those ribs! Wow.
Poor casseroles.. must tell you I do love casseroles, even the old-school vibe of the name. Maybe it is time to bring them back in style;)
-Erin

Patty H. said...

This looks really good! It does sound like it would definitely fit the bill for someone craving potato skins!

In Katrina's Kitchen said...

I just LOVE that last picture!! I think my husband would go crazy over this recipe! Mmm

Kate from Scratch said...

Anything made with potatoes and cheese and I'm totally down. Count me in!

Bakerbynature said...

I liked your son's name for it, so original! This loos so so good, my man would go bonkers for this, as would I.

Anonymous said...

I think this would go good with Sunday dinner???
Looks and sounds yummy!!!!!!

Julie higgins said...

Yum! this is the perfect potato recipe for my son's birthday dinner tomorrow! I'm actually making ribs and wanted a twice baked potato casserole to go with it...perfect! He's a meat & potatoes boy, turning 10 tomorrow:)
Thanks for sharing!

Apron Appeal said...

Happy birthday to your 10 year old Julie. Don't forget - Bake the potatoes tonight...it will save you some time tomorrow.

Julie higgins said...

Thanks...I'm doing that right now:)
Anything to save time!!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

Haha I love your son's name for this dish. Too funny! :)
Oh my does this look ammmaazzzing!!! I can't wait to try it out.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...